Thursday, May 1, 2008

Your Local Arts Council is a Powerful Resource

Five years ago, my son started kindergarten and I suddenly had one day a week completely to myself. I'd just finished going through my photographs from that year's Dutchess County fair and decided it was time to take a chance and try to put together a show. I'd been shooting the fair for more than ten years and had built up a nice collection. Having no experience in the fine art world, I made an appointment to show my book to the fine people at the Dutchess County Arts Council (DCAC) to see if they could give me some direction. Boy did they ever.

Charged with promoting and encouraging cultural development in the Mid-Hudson Valley, the DCAC helps all kinds of artists and art organizations in many ways. They host an active and frequently updated website with current events listings and arts opportunities. If you sign up for their newsletter, they'll email you a weekly list of grants, scholarships, residencies, and open calls for artists happening nationwide. Among lots of other things, they offer workshops on arts management, run an impressive series of Folk & Traditional Arts Programs, publish a few brochures on arts events in the area, and host an annual juried fine art & craft market. I highly recommend becoming a member just to support the arts. A side benefit as an artist or artist organization is that you gain a pr firm, an advocate, a friend, and a powerful ally.

After that initial meeting, Loretta Spence, Director of Programs and Arts Services, graciously advised me of every suitable opportunity that crossed her desk. The DCAC handles grants for the New York State Council on the Arts and when it came to that time of year she suggested that Susan Linn, then Director of the Rhinebeck Chamber of Commerce, might want to sponsor me. Rhinebeck is the host town of the fair, so the pairing made perfect sense. Susan did sponsor me and we did win a grant to show my images at the town library.

For me, the best way to sell my fine art photography is to show as much as possible. DCAC is helping me do that. I was selected in a juried review of member artists to show my work at the Millbrook Winery in the fall where they select artists for a program called Art in the Loft. I'm also entering my Genesee Sunset photo in DCAC's 1st Artist Member Juried Exhibition in May/June.

If you're just starting out, see what your local arts council is up to. If you've been around, my readers and I would love to hear how your arts council has helped you.

No comments:

Post a Comment