Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Hard Times in Chelsea

Last week I went with a couple of friends to scope out the gallery scene in Chelsea. It was uncharacteristically quiet. We didn’t think much about that until one gallery owner told us that six of nine galleries in his building had been forced to close. He was hunkering down for a tough year. I have to admit, I felt personally discouraged. After spending the last few months preparing my Truths, Lies, Legends images for an exhibition, I realize that now may not be the right time. Gallery owners can’t afford to take risks on emerging artists. In fact, several of the photo galleries were showing reliable classic work by Steiglitz and Weston.

Holland Cotter wrote an interesting piece in last Sunday’s New York Times about how hard economic times affect the art world. While art may not be selling during recessionary periods, they are often times of heightened creativity and change. Artists tend to flock together, cooperate, collaborate, create. When New York City faced bankruptcy in the 70s, artists took up residency in nearly derelict buildings in Soho showing their work in ground floor apartments and performing on rooftops. This cheered me. Perhaps the next few years will bring new ideas, new thinking and new opportunities for artists. I'm ready. Are you?

1 comment: