Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Google Knows Who’s Talking About You

Google is as deep as you look. Recently, I signed up for Google Alerts which sends me an email every time my name is mentioned on the internet. You can set an alert to watch for anything—photography fellowships, portrait competitions, humpback whales, whatever. Try to target the search as narrowly as possible to avoid being inundated with alerts. It’s been interesting to see where my name pops up. There’s a high school swimmer named Molly Ahearn whose name pops up in the local papers occasionally. I’m quietly watching her career develop. I wonder if she’s watching mine…

1 comment:

  1. I find the google alerts to be quite interesting...last month I learned of 5 of my early paintings being up for bid at two different auction houses. I knew exactly when and where the purchases had originally taken place so it then made me aware that the buyers, each a good friend of mine at the time they bought, have passed away.
    It made for a very odd little loop.

    ReplyDelete